Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Pandemoniom of Naming

I SUCK at naming horses. It was a miracle from above when Cash was named. It literally took 3 and a half weeks of non-stop thinking, Google searching, asking friends, and hocus pocus magic tarot card reading gypsies till it happened. Even then I was in the "J" section of a "Naming your gelding" article when Johnny Cash appeared and there it was. Cash. It just fit.

Marvel came a bit quicker. One and a half weeks. I woke up on a Saturday morning to a Superman cartoon and decided that he wasn't just as good as one super hero, he was as good as all of them combined. Bam. Marvel.

But then there's Panda. I already had some name ideas but I do try to withhold an important step like naming till after I know the horse. His registered name is Duckndodgin but we were calling him things like "The gray horse," "The new horse," "He Who Must No Be Named," "He who has no name," "Gandalf," "Vldemort," and "menoloadyontrailer." So after about a week and a half I decided he was ready for a name. If only it were that easy...



Chaos - I really liked that name for the show ring. "And next up is Jeannette on the big gray gelding Chaos," and in we would gallop, beautiful dapples, that little crocheted ear thing, shiny black boots and all and sweep the class on looks alone. But let's face it, I've never had blue ribbons thrown at me, even on my big bay TB that looked like a Warmblood and was so shiny my trainer kept telling me not to put Show Sheen on the saddle area. And I would rather him not live up to a name like Chaos. So it was a no go.

Havoc - See above blurb and insert the word "Havoc" where you see the word "Chaos". No again.

Zeigen - Love this name! And actually, on the drive home from getting him a friend suggested it to me which I thought was a totally irony and figured that I had to name him Zeigen. I mean, how often does that name randomly pop up not in a bar?! But I always liked that name more for a dog and once I had found a baby bird who was hurt and named him Zeigen and it just didn't really fit. Poo. No Zeigen.

Flash - Loved it. Then I found out it rhymes with Cash. ARGH! No Flash. (Or Dash)



Then we tried looking up famous spies because everyone called him something different but that led us nowhere fast.

Other suggested names were:
Dardar (yeah, never ask a 7 year old girl to help you name a horse. Apparently it was her pet name for Darla. I'd like to actually change my original comment to be, never let this girl name ANYTHING)
Thunder (too common for me)
Gris (the Spanish word for grey. Liked it but no one would ever get it right)
Blink
Fred
Nym


I HAD NOTHING!!! And then one afternoon I was sitting there exasperated, looking at him, and I thought to myself, "You're freaking adorable. I mean you're pretty, but you're also adorable." So I toyed around with just naming him something cute as a barn name and awesome as a show name. And then he turned his little face around his black mane was all over the place and I just thought Pandemonium, or Panda for short. Brilliant! I get my Chaos and my Havoc but in less of a self prophetic way! HAHA!

I wish I could tell you it was a well received name. I wish I could tell you everyone agreed that it fit him and also agreed with me that I am indeed, a genius. But it had mixed reviews. Most non barn people thought it was adorable. 2 different people have that as a nickname so they were a little less than thrilled with it. Barn people were expecting something on a whole different level so they were surprised but supportive.

Nevertheless, his name is Panda. Who knows, maybe I'll find a new one that suits him better. Until then, I will have day and night dreams alike of galloping into the ring on my dappled gray gelding with the crocheted ear thing and shiny black boots to an announcer saying, "And next up is Jeannette on Pandemonium!"




No comments:

Post a Comment