Thursday, September 26, 2013

Lessons for a Lifetime


So everyone has their list of things horses have taught them or have the potential to teach you. I have to admit, it's been done in so many ways I don't know if there's any new way to do it. The thing is, it is truly amazing what horses, or any animal for that matter, can teach you and every person has their own experiences. A horse has an uncanny way of sizing you up, figuring you out, and putting you on your bum in the dirt and he does it the second you step into the aisle.



I have had such an emotional roller coaster of a journey to this point in my horse career and I owe so much to my four legged friends. So yes, basically this is a list of lessons horses have taught me, but really it's a tribute to the horses who have gotten my bum dirty.

  • If you don't laugh you'll cry. Especially after thinking in your head how long it's been since you've fallen off your horse or how brave your horse has been over every obstacle you've thrown at him and then you land on the other side horseless.
  • Money can't buy you happiness. I've always slept better after a good stall cleaning, bucket washing, mane pulling, arm numbing grooming session day of work. Some people call that exhaustion, but when you pay for all of those things to be done for you, you're missing out on a huge part of what it means to own a horse. It makes me endlessly happy to know my horses are happy!
  • Wear your helmet. Always. Remember what I said about dirty bums? Those come with bruises if you're lucky, comas if you're not. I don't care if Tonto is standing still, you're in an arena barely bigger than his stall, and you've been riding in that arena for Tonto's whole life. You don't know what wild hair he's got up his hiney. Sometimes shadows are scary! Sometimes there's a monster on the other side of that fence that no one can see but Tonto! Wear your helmet. Period. They don't make you bullet proof, but it's amazing the things your head controls. Like movement, speech, thinking, recognition, coordination, emotions, etc. You need all those things to live your life independently of a feeding tube and a paid bed pan emptier.
  • If you love something, for heaven's sake, don't let it go without a good reason! I've lost two horses because I didn't have the nerve or the financial independence to fight for them. The tragedy of these two loses kept me away from my passion for years. I am not saying keep every horse you buy, that's impractical. I am saying, don't give up. Don't think that luck is on your side and everything will work out by magic. It won't. You are in control of your own fate and destiny and if you've got something good going, fight with all you've got to keep it.
  • A day without sweat is a day wasted. Even if it's 30 degrees outside and everyone is wrapped up three layers thick. Clean a stall, clean some tack, ride a horse, brush a horse, get your blood pumping! Don't let a day go by without DOING something. (Side note: it's ok to have an occasional sick day. You do a lot of sweating when you're sick so it counts!)
  • There is always a storm before the calm. Inevitably you'll be working on learning something new. It won't be easy for you or your horse. I can promise you one thing above all else; it will get frustrating. It might get aggravating and eventually it could get maddening! Perseverance is the only option. It'll probably get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. Sometimes you might need to take a step back. Hop on a schoolmaster who knows what to do so you get a boost in confidence and patience. But don't give up!
  • Get scared. I believe Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do something everyday that scares you." I'm not an adrenaline junkie and I feel like doing something every single day that scares you is excessive. But I do believe in the idea of her quote which is that you need to push yourself. If you stay in your comfort zone you'll never go anywhere. There is a delicate balance we ride when we are on a horse. Horses can sense how you're feeling and if you're scared you probably aren't ready but if you've got those butterflies going in your tummy and you've done your homework, push yourself!
  • Kill 'em with kindness. You can't do anything with a horse if you don't have it's trust. Well, ok, you can do quite a few things but at the end of the day, at the top levels of competition, you have to have a relationship based on trust built with your horse. Beating, scaring, ignoring, or not caring about a horse will get you nowhere. A horse will do what's easy and not a whole lot past that without a good reason. Be kind, firm, and respectful and you'll go far.

I have ADD, and at this point I'm sure my readers have developed it too so there might be a second installment at a later date. Let horses teach you the lessons you are meant to learn. They are generally kind teachers who cater their lessons to your personal needs. So don't get a big head about your riding style unless your pants are ready to go through the laundry.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me think of the lessons that lesson ponies teach. Is that part II? That's one of my favorite subjects :)

    ReplyDelete