Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Surrounded!



Family means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I hope that, like me, it's mainly a good thing. The best part of a family is that it comes in all shapes and sizes and very rarely does it consist of all blood relatives.

The barn is no exception. Coming from a bigger show barn I had a lot of friends. The moms took care of us all by bringing hot chocolate when it was cold and water when it was hot. They held our horses while we ran to the bathroom and ran off to find crops or spurs when we needed them. Still, I would not have called them my family per se.

I was at that barn for a good 5-6 years. I developed a lot of skills as a rider and had fantastic times with the girls I rode with. I wouldn't trade it for the world! I wouldn't be where I am today without every last one of the experiences I had there.

I have been at the new barn for almost 6 months now. It feels like a lifetime. I never in the world thought I would fit in at a place where Western saddles outnumber English saddles 3 to 1. Or a place that didn't have jumps when I first got there! Yet here I am.

I am part of an awesome family who works together for a common goal; to better ourselves and the barn. They put their horses first (which makes them as horse poor as me!). They see the barn as the therapists office and the people there as the therapists; which can be good and bad.

They aren't afraid to tell you what you're doing wrong. This is so extremely critical in a family relationship. It needs to be done right, but no matter what, it needs to be done. There is nothing said behind backs that wouldn't be paraphrased and said back to you at some point or another.

Family is always family. No matter the distance, no matter the hardships, there's a connection that can't be broken. They've got your back and you can count on it. They are people who you can never truly say goodbye to. If you haven't experienced this kind of family, I pray that one day you get to.

Tomorrow part of ours leaves us for awhile. So until next time we all wish them safe travels. But just until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment