Friday, September 27, 2013

Horse TV and Freetime, 2 Things That Will Never Happen

So I'm sitting in front of my computer (obviously) with about 20 minutes left before I have to leave for work. Again. It is the eve of the American Eventing Championships (AECs) and I've only been home for about 2 hours. Thus, this post was born.

Currently I have three jobs; bartender, NAPA girl/delivery driver, and riding instructor. Surprisingly I like them all very much. I suppose student is a job too so toss that in there and that makes 4 huge time gobblers. I have gotten used to this hectic schedule and can't wrap my head around how to work an 8-5 job and be able to pay all the bills (I've tried that for 2 years and ended up with a second job 5 months into that 2 year career).

ALL I WANT TO DO IS WATCH THE AECs ON TV!!! Or Spruce Meadows, or Burghley, or Badminton, or Rolex, or Devon, or heck, even the Kentucky derby! I want a good 5 hour chunk of time to literally sit on my couch, eat a package of oreos, drink a gallon of milk, with a computer strapped to my lap playing some sort of horseback riding event that includes an English saddle, and a colostomy bag so I don't have to get up. I want to gain 5 pounds in that 5 hours and not bat an eye. I want a day where my muscles begin to atrophy because I haven't even blinked my eyes. I want people to call and text me so excessively that I throw my phone against a wall and then they are forced to come by my house, from which I will instantly send them to the store for more oreos and milk. I want to wake up to a hushed conversation between my boyfriend and my parents about how I've lost the will to live and how they are planning an intervention. All from one day of laziness.

But then I sit back and evaluate my life, and my schedule. I look at the places in my week where I have free time and realize that, although it doesn't occur in 5 hour or day long chunks, it does, in fact occur. Which leads me to wonder why I don't feel like I have any free time...

With three big, hairy, energetic, loveable dogs, a lot of my free time is spent making a fourth dog (aka, sweeping enough hair for a fourth dog EVERY SINGLE DAY). It is also spent clipping nails, fighting fleas, washing dog beds, and vacuuming. So I guess this encompasses cleaning the house too. :)

Then there's homework. I definitely definitely definitely don't spend as much time on that as I should. And a lot of school work happens when I get the good idea to check due dates right before bed and realize that night is the due date for a quiz. OOPS! Not recommended child readers!

Work obviously eats up quite a bit of time. On average I'd say I work 45+ hours a week. That is not a complaint. For the longest time with a full time job and a part time job I was miserable. These jobs keep me busy, make me money, and make me happy! I hope everyone can experience a job that makes them happy.

Then there's the barn. Let's not add up the time spent out there. It's a never ending pit of time eating monsters that drag you in and you have to fight your way out using any kung fu means necessary.

I am not the kind of person that needs a lot of free time no matter what I might beg and plead for. With more than about 2 hours of free time I find something that needs to be clean, or the dogs have shed again everywhere, or I can't take a nap, or I start going stir crazy and have to get out of the house before I start drawing on walls!

Hopefully one day I can cut back to one well paying job with time to ride and be with my dogs as well as show. I think I'll always teach riding lessons but that doesn't count as a job to me. Until then I'll have to watch YouTube clips of the highlights of the events I wish I was watching and eat an oreo every now and then for posterities sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment