Friday, October 18, 2013

How to Most Thoroughly Embarrass Your Ponies, a Halloween Thinktank

Halloween is just around the corner! I'm not a creative person by any means and I've never been a fan of dressing up. Halloween makes me excited because it is the kick-off of the holiday season! Bring on too many commercials about things I didn't know existed but now need, the extra ten pounds that comes with hot chocolate and sugar cookies, and endless versions of the same Christmas song. I'm ready. For all but the cold that is, but that's a different post for a different day.

This year I am slightly more excited about the actual holiday of Halloween because there are 6 animals under my care that are about to run crying home and have PTSD from the costumes I will dream up for them. There are endless possibilities (but a slightly more constrictive budget) for this holiday's festivities!

Jesse is having a jockey strapped to her back and is going as a racehorse. Hina is going as the grumpy big sister who stayed home at my house (she isn't going). Kiba is scary all by himself. If he goes he will not need to dress up.

Marvel is being pimped out to a friend of mine. She has decided to dress him as superman which is perfectly fitting. He's named after the comics and he's huge and super! He's probably not going to have to see a counselor after his makeover is complete. I mean come on, who doesn't want to be superman!!

Cash is probably not going to end up getting dressed up. He is going to be the Headless Horseman's mount except the headless horseman is not going to be astride because he is not comfortable on horseback, much less spooky pony-back. If I were going to dress him up he would HAVE to be a Pegasus. He's black and adorable which is close to black and majestic which is what a Pegasus is. Of course logistically I'm not sure there are any form of wings I could attach to him that would make him feel safe and secure. That might work in my benefit though because we'd certainly see a flying horse... BEST COSTUME AWARD GOES TO: Jeannette, and her flying black pony that cannot be stopped to detach the wings. That win would be short lived.

Panda. I am having an identity crisis with him. There is a horse in the barn better suited to be a unicorn but if they aren't going to do Unicorn then I totally want to do it! When I picture a unicorn though I don't picture a fat bellied, ribby, ewe-necked, dappled grey with a black mane and tail. I think of something all white, very "knight's steed"-esque with a purple iridescent mane and tail. Panda's tail has been many colors but the yellow it is now is the closest it has come to purple. Scratch unicorn. The idea I keep coming back to is Indian. I want to get some paint and put handprints and illegible stick figures depicting vicious battle on his sides. I want to put football/battle stripes under his eyes and teach him to rear so that everyone that comes and asks us what we are will get a good hearty rear and a gruff "Indian" from me. Now that I'm thinking about it, he needs to learn to neigh and rear at the same time.

Ok, all joking aside, I do want to paint him but then I don't have an Indian costume. I am left very unimpressed with the "Sexy Indian," "Flirty Indian," and "Mysterious Indian" costumes in stores that are all the same bikini idea with fringe in different places. My mom told me never to touch the feathers you find on the ground so that nixes my plans for a "build your own" Indian costume. Another speed bump I'm running in to is the whole riding idea. Indians rode bareback. Pictures don't do Panda's back justice. His spine is about 6 inches above where his meat and muscles start. It looks like someone pitched a tent of skin on top of his back. I'd be getting that wedgie out till next Halloween. Also, what paint is ok to use on a horse? What if it stains his fur? What if it's 30 degrees, how am I gonna get it off him?! Halloween is notoriously cold in these parts. I think it's God's way of making all those girls in lingerie suffer (which I am perfectly ok with).

I guess I need to go back to the drawing board. I don't really want to do jockey/race horse. Besides, Jesse is already being that. I could do sheep but Amanda has already thought of the logistics of that and it's a no go. We could be Gandalf/Shadowfax. I'd definitely be warm but I feel like a beard that long might get in the way. I'm no expert though. We could be ghosts... That wouldn't be terribly hard to do but it is so easy! Maybe I'll make him little cuffs (upside down bell boots?!) and a bow tie and he can be a Chip-N-Dales dancer. He IS handsome. :)

Halloween, here we come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment