Friday, August 14, 2015

Six Weeks Till D-Day; Dressage Day That Is

Today, August 14, 2015, marks exactly six weeks till Panda and I enter the dressage arena at Texas Rose Horse Park and perform the most influential test of our lives. So you know, no pressure! But seriously, there will be many, much more difficult, and much more important sandbox dances to come in our career, but this one is the most important to date.

Instead of psyching me out though, it helps to put it in perspective for me. The first dressage test I ever performed back on March  22, 2014 in the Candy Cane eventing derby, was, at that moment, the hardest and most scary dressage test in my  life. Then, when I put my big girl panties on and went to my first Beginner Novice event at Pine Hill, July 5, 2014, THAT was the hardest and most important dressage test I have ever ridden. The same goes for when I rode in my first Novice event this past March and in my first recognized Beginner Novice horse trials, also in March.

When I look back to how big a deal I made out of each of those events, and how insignificant they were, I smile. I'm not embarrassed at all. Each of those events were such a big deal to me. They were giant steps outside of my comfort zone that helped me grow as a person and a rider. They all helped me to get to where I am now, qualified and entered into the American Eventing Championships. Beginner Novice or not, it's a big deal to me.

Hopefully though, remembering the bigger picture and what is possibly to come, this one simple 3 minute test in Tyler, Texas will not have me twisted in knots and beside myself with anxiety. If, one day, I want to be cantering down centerline in Kentucky, this dressage test will seem like such a tiny blip on the radar, it might get looked over.

I know though, that I will always remember it fondly as my first AECs. Every moment counts but if you lose sleep over them, it's much harder to enjoy them.


6 week look at what I'm excited for during the AECs:
Getting there.
Yup. Plain and simple. I'm excited for the road trip there and for unloading all Panda's crap and taking him for a walk. Must remember the deep breaths!

No comments:

Post a Comment