Thursday, November 13, 2014

We Are Sorry

It's been awhile. I will fall victim to procrastination, boredom, lack of motivation, pure laziness, etc. I am sorry. Until I get paid for this blog (which will probably never happen and has never been the goal at any point anyway), I will not have enough regular time in my life, or enough extra brainpower, to sit down and write clever blogs. But the posts will come in waves, that you can count on.

I have been having so much fun and success with my boys and so many updates to share, but I have been sick for 2 weeks and had an epiphany that moved me to write this particular post, which I feel is extremely necessary. I used to be a "poet" of sorts and I've always been better writing than speaking so this is to Brandon. Not just him, but every horsey husband/boyfriend/friend/family member of every horse person I know. We are sorry. (Before you think this is too mushy or emotional, it was brought on by the monumental occasion that is me showering.)



I know it shouldn't be a miracle that I decided to take a shower today
And I know I shouldn't keep a memo on the opening screen of my phone apologizing to the paramedic that has to cart me to the ER about my luxurious leg hair
I know hands aren't supposed change colors after you wash them and hay should not be a normal thing to pull out of the lint catcher on the dryer

I'm sorry that I am too tired to make dinner but my boots are always polished and waiting by the front door
I'm sorry that I'm too cold to drag myself to the grocery store but not too cold to go feed the horses in the dark and windy morning
I'm sorry that I can't remember to drag the trash can to the front of the driveway but I have it marked on my calendar the day each horse's stall needs to be stripped
I'm sorry I'm scared of cockroaches but not getting on my student's bucking pony

I don't know anything about the racial or political implications of Kim Kardashian's latest semi nude photo shoot on the cover of a magazine I've never even heard of but I can tell you the breed, age, height, diet, turnout schedule, current and potential abilities and favorite treat of every horse at the barn
I don't know anything about tire pressure, oil changing, or that rattling noise that just started in the front-ish part of my car but I know the make, model and color of every vehicle that belongs to every person that belongs at the barn

My awesome boyfriend and cheerleader.
And dog watcher...
I'm sorry I never have any money and yet mysterious, fairly large boxes keep showing up at the house
I know more about the latest imported show jumping stallion than I do about Obama's stance on pretty much anything
I have a first aid box of everything short of surgical gear for the horses but not even so much as Tylenol at home
I go to a nice dinner in my best, least stained breeches because jeans feel constricting (and also that leg hair really sits better in breeches...)
I know a good deal on hay and how much farm land should cost but I couldn't tell you a good price on milk

My tack room is more organized than the kitchen
There's more dirt on the floor of the house than in my horse's stall
My horse is cleaner than I am 85% of the time
The only time I will buy new clothes is when my breeches get a hole in them or someone buys me a gift certificate to a clothing store
My grasp of hair and makeup artistry didn't develop past 1st grade
I will be home eventually

And these are the things you didn't know when you met us. But you know now. And we are so thankful you've stuck it out this long! There's no girl like a horse girl and there's no changing us anyway.

Stay tuned for an update on all my adventures! I'm back. For now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment